Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Grief and Loss of a Pet

During this last year, and especially the last few weeks, I've had several friends lose their beloved animals. This is such a difficult loss because those of us that have dogs (and cats too!) think of them like our furkids. It's never easy, and the loss seems to break our hearts into a million tiny pieces. People that don't have animals don't always seem to understand the void that this loss leaves, and how deep the grief can shake us. My Winnie is now nearing 14 years old, we don't know how long we have left with her, and she continues to have some very difficult days. I know that the day we have to say goodbye will be a very sad day for us.

I have come across a few words in my circles lately that seem to provide a little comfort. If you have lost a pet recently, or know someone who has, I hope that these words help you a little bit too.

I love this quote (author unknown):

Whenever one of my dogs die, they take a part of my heart. When ever a dog comes into my life, they give me a part of their heart. If i am lucky to live long enough I will have the heart of a dog and be as good as they are!

I love these two poems (author unknown):

We have a secret you and I,
That no one else shall know.
For who but I can see you lie,
Each night, in fireflow.
And who but I can reach my hand,
Before we go to bed,
And feel the living warmth of you,
And tough your silken head.
And only I walk woodland paths,
And see you ahead of me,
Your form racing in the wind,
So young again, and free.
And only I can see you swim,
In every brook I pass,
And when I call, no one but I
Can see the bending grass...


The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

No comments: