Saturday, June 28, 2008

Yard Sale Score!

A lot of people have been asking me 'Melissa, what do you do now that you are not climbing?' Well, if you haven't noticed, my blog has been tending towards more homey stuff, because obviously, one of my hobbies is interior design and shopping for cool house furniture and accessories.

A big part of my daily routine is scoping Craigslist to see what cool things people are selling, and I think it's fun to incorporate bargains and vintage stuff into your house- it's the ultimate recycle.

I have also been spending a lot of my days Garaging as I like to call it. Today was a banner day, as we scored a charcoal grill for 10 bucks, as well as the Coup de Gras of all garage sale finds: a vintage designer piece.

Yep, I scored two Eames fiberglass shell chairs for 10 bucks a piece. The real deal, stamped and authentic. Ok, so they had seen better days, but with a little guidance from Ron at the Green Ant, they restored beautifully.

See the pics below and view the complete transformation. Now, if I were a greedy bastard, I could now put these suckers on Ebay and make 10-15 times (or more) in what I paid for them, but with all the blood, sweat, tears, and itchy fiberglass now imbedded in Adam and I, why would I do such a ridiculous thing, especially when I now own a sweet little piece of Vintage Modern history.

Scroll down to the very bottom view all of the instructions for how to sand and refinish an Eames fiberglass shell chair, as well as to see the pics of how it went.

No comments: