Wednesday, December 03, 2008

$50 Well Spent


Lately I've been bummed out about the lack of cool stuff on Craigslist, but there was one listing that kept popping up that was sticking around.  I kinda sorta needed a more comfortable office chair, but it was far from crucial, but when I saw this baby, I couldn't really get it out of my head.  I have a friend who collects all of this vintage office furniture, and it looked so cool in her house, so I told her about the chair.  Days went by, and she didn't get it, and there it was still languishing on Craigslist.  I decided to offer the seller $40- she wanted $80, but hey, these are tough times.  We settled on $50 and I picked it up last night.  It is a mid century classic office chair made by Shaw-Walker of Muskegon, Michigan.

After doing a little research, I was pleased (shocked) to see that a restored version of this chair is selling for $1250!!!!  So, I'm off to figure out what a restoration would entail.  First thing is getting the upholstery cleaned and re-padded.  Coincidentally, I live across the street from an upholsterer, so that will be the research project du jour.




1 comment:

Wasatch Girl said...

Holy shit! Good buy!